Thursday, April 25, 2013

cuffs from The Base Project

I recently rediscovered this bracelet I had. A family friend brought it back from South Africa. It's got this very cool, rustic, geometric design carved into what used to be a plastic plumbing pipe. It's designed with texture and feels great to the touch. Best of all this piece will probably out last all my jewelry, I tend to be pretty hard on things I wear!
 I stumbled on this this cuff line that creates these same beautiful bracelets. The line is called The Base Project. Their artisans are local to Namibia. "Discarded plastic pipe is collected by local artisans, then hand-cut, carved and reformed into bracelets. Inspiration for the designs come from the wildlife, landscape, and rich tribal history of the region". Plus it supports the local communities The Base Project works with. I love the patterns and way the color transforms the plastic to look like a rich leather and wood.
photos kindly borrowed from The Base Project website, see all their beautiful photography here.

No comments:

Post a Comment